Life Without Math?
I had a “first time” appointment with my new eye doctor this week. When he asked me what I do and I responded, “I teach math,” he sort of grunted. He then said, “I guess I’ll let you be my patient anyway….I just don’t like math. My wife LOVES it. She thinks it’s a game!”
So many follow-up questions darted through my mind.
- You don’t let your kids know you don’t like it, do you?
- How do you cover that up to keep your child encouraged?
- Why do you seem okay with the fact that you believe you aren’t good at math? Doesn’t math matter in your profession?
- Should I let you be my doctor?
- How did you graduate med school without math?
So… here’s a challenge…list the things that you do each day that involve math and/or numbers in some way….and leave those things out of your life for just one day. Of course, this means you’ll just be in bed all day because your alarm clock has numbers! 🙂